Thursday, January 18, 2007

Current reads...

Well, I used to be ashamed that I was a lover of fiction. No, not your classic literature like F. Scott Fitzgerald or Jane Eyre, but current fiction books. Christian authors I enjoy include Francine Rivers, Lori Wick, Janette Oke, and Karen Kingsbury. Other authors I enjoy include Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham, and K.C. McKinnon. So many of my friends love to curl up with non-fiction, classics, or other intellectual literature during their down time. I used to think something was wrong with me because I do not really enjoy reading those kinds of books and I'd hide my true affinities when it comes to reading. But, no more. There's no shame in liking a romance, which is what I prefer. There's nothing better to me than a cold, rainy day with my favorite blanket, a hot cup of tea, and a heart-warming romance. It's my brain-candy.

I just finished reading a series by Lori Wick called "A Place Called Home".






I read these 4 books a lot when I was a teenager and picked them up from my mom's house while I was there over Christmas. It's been years since I've read them...and they were pretty cheesy...I guess I would equate them to plain ol' lolli-pops...they're good, but just flavored sugar with nothing in the middle. They're not the first ones I would choose amongst a whole passle of candy...er...books.
I'm currently reading my first Karen Kingsbury book, "Ocean's Apart".
My sister bought 4 of her books for Christmas and she had the idea of trading them around with me and my mom and herself. I thought it was a great idea! I'm about half way through it, which is a great story so far. I would rate Karen at an M&M level...not has plain has a Hershey Bar, but not has great as a Baby Ruth. But, she does make the chocolate category. I will definitely read more of her books.
Anyway, that's what I'm doing in my spare time: reading, in addition to searching real estate listings, crocheting and catching up on a TV show or two. Soon, the reading will be replaced with packing. Aak! So, there you have it. It's out. I like fiction books. I don't like non-fiction, but will read certain books that will help refine my knowledge on current life experiences. I might pull out a classic someday and may even enjoy it, but when you find candy that you like, it's hard to choose another piece when your favorites are in the mix.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Hey, at least you read! I'm struggling through my preggo books. If only they made Cliff's Notes for those things ;)

Thanks for your comments on my blog! Now, when you comment on my blog should I comment back on my blog or just come here and comment? I'm such a newbie at this!

I use Photoshop. It's great for resizing and color correction. It's also pretty easy to add text and other graphics. Those pics of Donnie and me on the wall were originally really dark and yellow (bad lighting, weak flash, tan paint). They still aren't up to my standards but they'll do for this!

Welp, take care. Enjoy your books! Can't wait to see you soon...

Melanie said...

Hey...you sound like a myspacer!!! I would say the norm is that you comment on the comments about your blog in your blog. Did that make sense?

I like how you put the labels on your photos...I need to do that. It looks really classy. I need to get a good photo editing software. The one I have is paintshop pro and I think I'd like photoshop better. But, I've had little time for fiddling with photos lately. Now that Mallory is mobile, my days are taken up more with her.

Anywho...can't wait to see ya, girlie.

Unknown said...

No need to apologize for liking to read, Melanie!!! I love fiction, too.
How is the house search going?

Anonymous said...

I love Karen Kingsbury too Melanie!

Anonymous said...

Hiya, sister.

Inspired by your post, I started reading "One Tuesday Morning" last night. I sort of have a head start on you & mom since I already read one of the Kingsbury books before I bought them, BUT now I'm actually reading one too. Fun!

I'll try to call you this weekend. Love you!!!!