Thursday, September 23, 2010

Goals

I know a lot of people start making goals and plans for their life around January 1 of each year. I mean, it's a fresh start, a new beginning, a clean slate or whatever else you may call it. For me, though, it seems like my goal making and life changing occurs in the fall.

2003 - I got married on Aug. 30th. That fall was one heck of life change, that's for sure.
2005 - I found out I was pregnant in early August, preparing the way for a sickly fall yet an exciting winter as we anticipated parenthood
2006 - We moved to Johnson City, TN in Sept, opening doors for a few ups and lots of downs
2007 - I had my second child in November
2008 - I stopped breastfeeding my second child and was on a mission to get my body back, which was successful until I found out I was pregnant 4 months later.
2009 - I had my third child in October and was on a mission to survive.

So, that brings me to this year. In looking back, we haven't had a fall without some major event in many, many years. I've also discovered that since 2005, I have been pregnant or breastfeeding every day except for 4 short months. That's just weird to me.

OK, so talking about this year again...

This fall, I am not breastfeeding (Evan was weaned a few weeks ago). I am not pregnant (holler!). We are not moving to another state (whew!). So, that leaves me to getting my body back.

That is one of my goals.

I've had lots of friends blog about loosing weight and I don't know if I want to go that route. I may, I may not. I don't know. Should I? In any case, I'm going to run a 5K with my husband sometime in the near future. We need to sign up for one so I'll have a tangible date, but I'm going to do some sort of plan like the couch to 5K. I've been faithful for 2 weeks now, so hopefully I'll keep at 'em.

Another one of my goals is getting up early for devotion, prayer with my husband, and exercise, which leads me to another goal of going to bed at a decent time. I need adequate sleep or I am not nice. Plus, rest is good for me. But so is devotion, prayer with the hubster and exercise.

Balance, my friends. Balance.

Another goal is to not be selfish. I think this is the hardest one for me. I'm a very selfish person, which I discovered while I was on vacation. I'll have to some how put into words how I came to that conclusion, but it was actually not that hard to figure out until I started looking in the right Mirror. I am expecting not to reach this goal for a very, very long time.

All this to say that I am starting a new fall - a new season for me to start afresh with some goals that will help me change my life for the better.

Unfortunately I have nothing measured. Should I set measurable goals with rewards? I don't know...I usually work better with some sort of measurement to attain. I am, though, looking at my efforts more as a way for me to bring glory to God, which is something I haven't really done. He's showed me lately how I am absolutely nothing without Him and I want Him to be proud of the way I spend my time and treat my body. I will fail, that is inevitable for I am a sinful human being with a propensity to mess up. But, I will do my best.

So, that's it in a nutshell for now.

No comments: