Sunday, February 11, 2007

Annual Traditions...

I've been talking a lot lately about memories I've had with Patrick. Well, there's a tradition that I have going on with my dad that I hope will continue for a long time. Every Christmas for the past 6 years or so, I have bought him tickets to the FL/GA basketball game in Athens for us to go to together. It's really the only time I get to spend with my dad alone and it's a date that we've really enjoyed over the years. This year, the game was this past Wednesday, Feb. 7th (the games are usually in Feb...sometimes on weekends, but mostly on a week night). Mallory and I drove down to Elberton on Wednesday morning and spent the afternoon with my mom. Oh - I also got a haircut, which was the first in a LONG time!!! Dad and I left for the game in the early evening and enjoyed our time in the car. It's always nice for me to have some one-on-one time to share with him about my challenges, joys, hopes, feelings, and other cares and trials that life has placed at my feet. In turn, I get to hear his. I love to confide in my dad. He's a great listener and will give advice when asked, but not push to hard on what he thinks I should do, since He knows that's between me, Patrick and God. He's quick to praise and always reminds me how proud he is of his girls. My sister and I have always felt confident in our father and I'm sure we both will feel that way for as long as we live.
Dad has instilled in both my sister and me a great love for sports...especially Gator sports! Amanda and I just love the Gators and we enjoy calling Dad after an awesome play or a hard-fought victory. This game we just saw was the first time I watched a defending National Champion and the current #1 team play LIVE...and it was even cooler that it was OUR team to boot! We sat in the midst of other Gators and we were ALL stoked that our team whooped the Dawgs.
I had a nice time at my parents and they liked spending time with Mallory. I left there on Friday morning with a promise to return in a week, where we'll be celebrating my sister's 30th birthday together as a family. Can't wait!!!






3 comments:

beth said...

What a precious time with your dad! I'm glad you were able to continue your tradition.

Unknown said...

This is a tradition of yours that I had forgotten about...my brother-in-law was at the same game! We bought him two tickets for Christmas. I think it was a thrill for him to see the #1 team in the nation.

Melanie said...

Kelly - that is so awesome! That's cool that he was there. By the end of the game, a lot of the Dawgs had left but all the Gators stayed. We were all shouting "It's Great to be a Florida Gator", which was really loud in the visitor's arena. It was a pretty cool moment.