Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Remembering Brooke

It was a year ago today that my cousin lost her baby, Brooke MacKenzie. I was only 6 weeks pregnant when it happened and I remember how much it pained me to hear of her loss. I had my first visit with Joy just this past Friday since Brooke's death. I tried to respect her timetable of healing before I visited her, since I knew Brooke's memory was still fresh in her heart. Joy gladly welcomed our visit and it was SOO nice to finally hug her and share my little Mallory Brooke with her. I was able to "meet" Brooke through pictures and memoires, which was so touching. I could see, and almost feel, the pain they experienced with her death, but rejoice that Joy's family turns to the Lord for strength. I'm thinking about and praying for Joy a lot today, knowing that she'll be remembering her daughter today with longing. God is good and provides the ultimate comfort for a hurting heart.

I will be photographing a Rememberance Walk in Winston-Salem this October that Joy is a part of. The walk is to remember babies that died in utero or shortly after birth. She said that there are about 75 babies that will be remembered at this event, which is so wonderful! I'm so glad that I'll have the opportunity to honor Brooke in this way and all the other babies that had such a brief life.

I just wanted to share the significance of this day with you all. Continue to pray for my family!

The Lord is so good!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you could share that time with her! I am sure she loved sharing Brooke with you.