Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

13 things I'm thankful about today's Thanksgiving celebration:

1. Patrick didn't have to work this morning!
2. We all spent time together this morning in prayer and thanksgiving for our salvation, our health, and our family
3. We were all able to take a walk down by the Watauga River this morning before I was in the kitchen to cook (and before Patrick and Mallory took naps!)
4. It only took me 2 hours to cook my first Thanksgiving meal
5. It only took us 30 minutes to clean it all up!
6. My first attempt at cooking turkey went well! Our bird was moist and juicy
7. Mallory's first tooth popped out today...on her first Thanksgiving too! And she tasted her first peice of turkey and mashed potatoes!
8. I had the 2 most precious people in my life with me at the dinner table today.
9. I was able to enjoy a peaceful meal with my precious family because of the brave men and women who are fighting in our military; I'm especially thankful for those in Iraq (thanks, Mel, for reminding me of your hubby over there! He's in my prayers...and so are you and the kids)
10. We have a home that is warm and comfortable and is truely a provision from the Lord
11. We met a new family who graciously made a place at their table for us; 3 strangers whom they didn't know but loving welcomed us into their home anyway, even on such a special day
12. I have an eternal hope in God the Father, who is my Savior, Deliverer and King
13. Tomorrow is a day to begin plans for the Advent, which begins Sunday. This will be a time when we will start traditions in our family as we celebrate the birth of Christ. I pray this time will circle around Christ - may he be glorified.

There is so much to be thankful for! I'm looking forward to hearing how your celebrations were!

2 comments:

beth said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day, Melanie. I wish you were going to be here on Sunday. I'm having women over for tea in the afternoon just to have some quiet, peaceful time to reflect on how we will treasure Christ this Advent season. I'd love to hear your thoughts. You can email me and I'll share them with the women on Sunday if you have a chance.
Lots of love,
Beth

Melanie said...

Beth - I got the notice in my email that you were having a tea on Sunday (one of the times I teared up last week...) Anyway, I will be happy to email you some thoughts of what I'd like to do for our celebration. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We'll see you on the 3rd!