Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A strange "knock" at the door

I decided to share with you all an unlikely visitor that appeared on our doorstep last week. I would have forgotten all about it, but my friend Kelly wrote on her blog about her encounter with a "friend" she had this week and it reminded me of my visitor.

I was playing with Mallory last week when I heard a "knock" at the door. It was just one knock, so I thought it might be the kids next door playing around. When I looked out the front door, there was a bird laying flat on its face on my front door stoop. The bird flew right into our front door! To my horror, the bird was still breathing. It looked miserable; it was laying "spread eagle" on its face with its wings spread out and it's head cocked to one side at a funny angle. I thought it broke its neck and was laying there in agony. I paced the house, not knowing what to do. I kept checking on it and it kept on breathing. My heart broke. Part of me thought "just die so I can get rid of you" and the other thought that maybe I can rescue it, make a splint for its neck with some toothpicks and packing tape, feed it it milk from one of Mallory's bottles, and nurse it back to health. Um...for those of you who know me, I am SO inadequately minded where medicine is concerned, the bird would have probably died from my care than its original injury!

After about 5 minutes, the bird was still breathing. I felt so bad! I didn't want to be so cold to the bird and just let it die, so I did the only thing I knew and called a vet. I was crying by the time I talked to someone. I explained the situation to a vet nurse (is that what you call them?) and she informed me that they don't treat wild birds. She said "Sweetie, you're just gonna have to let nature take it's course, OK?". So, I hung up the phone, wiped my tears, and decided I was just going to make the bird as comfortable as possible while it died. I grabbed a couple of paper towels, opened the door, and to my chagrin the bird was sitting on my front stoop like nothing happened. It looked at me then flew off to the nearest tree.

I was so relieved! The stupid bird just knocked itself out when it flew into my door!!! I was so glad that I didn't have to know that I let a little creature suffer an agonizing death, because Lord knows that behind the door that the bird flew into was a medical idiot!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm so glad it was OK! I would have done the same thing...pacing the house...heart racing...

Danielle said...

That happened at our old house a few times because we had this huge picture window and the birds kept flying into it. I learned after a few that usually they just stun themselves. I'm glad your agony was relieved!

Spirit of Adoption said...

too funny! I don't know what I would have done, but you went the extra mile by calling a vet, for sure!

At our old place, we had squirrels that would, litterally, knock at our back door!!! They got used to me throwing out stuff, and they'd knock at the door wanting more!!! CRAZY! But it was cute ; )

Nicole said...

LOL! Glad the bird was ok. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have called the vet...