Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Remembering past times, in honor of VA Tech

This week, I have been cherishing sweet memories of my final pregnancy days leading up to the moment we met our first child. It was a year ago today that I went into labor, but I'll share that story in a later post. My friend Kelly made a post regarding her memories of when significant tragedies struck our nation and the world and I figured I'd walk down memory lane to see if I can recall where I was and what I was feeling. I'll begin with the most vivid memories...

Which means that I'll start with when I heard about the VA Tech shootings. I was at home, but since I don't usually turn on the TV until after 4pm, I read a headline on Yahoo about a shooting at VA Tech where at least 2 people were dead. I regret to say I passed over the headline and didn't even click the link to read the developing story. It wasn't until I saw the headline a few hours later that at least 22 were dead that I read it, called Patrick, and turned on the TV to watch the news. How sad. How tragic. Those families have been in my thoughts and prayers.

On September 11, I was at work at Duke when a friend sent me an email saying that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I immediately went to CNN.com, which did not load because I'm guessing it was bogged down with Internet traffic. I asked one of my coworkers if he'd heard the news and he hadn't. We both went down to the cafeteria to watch the news. We were there watching while the first tower fell and a chorus of gasps were heard on the news and across the cafeteria. We were told to evacuate the city and I headed home, called my folks, and then spent the afternoon at a friends house. I remember seeing another friend of my mine that day whose dad had passed away the day before. She had asked me to pick something up for the funeral (a video, I think) and we exchanged hugs over what occured during these traumatic few days. I could imagine the horror she felt at both events in her life and ached for her loss. I make sure I call her every year to remind her that I think of her (Love ya, C!).

I heard about the Tsunami at church. Our pastor asked us to remember to pray for those in Indonesia. I remember him saying that our God is powerful enough to make such an enormous wave with a simple flick of His finger. We don't know why or how, but he's sovereign in the midst of tradgedies.

I heard about the shuttle Columbia exploding while driving to my then "soon-to-be" house to look at the fridge, which I was planning on purchasing. I called my roomie at the time to let her know about it because a friend of hers worked for NASA in Houston.

Though this tragedy is more local, I was about 12 when the 1990 Gainesville murders took place. Man, that was scary. I remember my first baby sitting job was a few days after that took place and though my parents and the children's parents were only around the corner at a bible study, I remember being really scared. When I lived in Gainesville, there was a graffiti wall near campus that was constantly changing. But, a memorial was painted in the center of the wall and no one ever painted over it. I wonder if it's still there.

I was at work when Katrina hit New Orleans. I watched the weather radar as the eye moved over the city. While I was sitting in my cubicle with all the lights on and AC blasting cool air, I was thinking about all those people either evacuating or stuck in the city scared to death. I ached for them.

I don't remember the details of where I was when Columbine, The OK City bombings, the first WTC bombings, when Princess Diana was killed or even when the Challenger exploded (I think I was at Stephen Foster Elementary in G-ville watching it on TV, but I don't really recall). It's amazing how these tragic events change your life. When I heard about VA Tech, I looked at Mallory and wondered if I could ever let her out of my sight, but my role as a mother is not about that. It's training her to become the woman God has called her to be, to be an example for her, and to equip her to the best of my ability to be independent of me yet totally dependent on God. God knows where her footsteps will take her and I have to trust in his sovereign hand. I hope that she never has to personally endure a tragic event as the ones I've mentioned.

Like Kelly, I will ask the question, what are your memories?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember where I was for all of these but I remember September 11th very well. We had just moved from AL to TN on the 9th. My birthday had been the 10th. My mom called from CA that morning and asked if I had the tv on? I hadn't even unpacked the remote yet. Apple stopped training for the new store their and sent everyone home after about an hour that morning. I was very glad when Bryan walked through the door of our new home. It was scary to be in a new city, home, etc. when that happened.

Courtney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney said...

You're a sweetheart, Mel, for always remembering the day I lost my dad. I've always appreciated that...as time goes by, so do people's memories. Though, mine is as fresh as that night in the hospital. Luv ya...