Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Mission of Motherhood...

I really am enjoying this book The Mission of Motherhood I'm reading by Sally Clarkson. I just finished a chapter on building loving relationships with our children. The book is so rich with godly advice, scriptures, and ideas of how to apply the principles she writes about in real life. At the end of each chapter, she asks questions for the reader to meditate on as well as suggested actions we should attempt with our children. The actions in this particular chapter were so good that I wanted to share them with you.

~Make a list of tangible ways you can show your children your love - a surprise picnic in front of the fireplace, an "I Love You" card under their pillow, a back-scratching or a foot rub, or even a long-stemmed rose for a romantically inclined teenage girl. Try to pick items that would speak to each child's spirit. Then make a commitment to act at least one item from your list for each child in the next few weeks.

~Mark your calendar for one-on-one time with each of your kids this month - an early morning restaurant breakfast, an ice cream date, a walk or run, or just a quiet cup of hot chocolate alone in your bedroom. I have found that it is when I am alone with my children that they are more likely to share what is in their hearts and allow their friendship with me to blossom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book! I think I'm going to order it and have Matt's parents bring it over next month. Any other suggestions of great books you've read recently (or are waiting to read)?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed! How do you find time to read? You're always so on the ball. It just amazes me. I hope if I become a mom some day I can be as organized as you. I fear that the most I think...well, besides the whole being pregnant and giving birth thing :) I miss ya!!! Good to catch up with you on here :)

Unknown said...

Melanie...I can't believe you moved!!! I had a thank you note and picture to drop by when I noticed that the sign wasn't in your yard anymore. Shawnda said it sold in like 2 weeks....wow! I'm sorry I didn't get to see you before you guys left. Thanks for the quotes. I love practical ideas...they really help me, and it drives home the point that the call to motherhood and discipleship really AREN'T two different things. I'm just now making that connection. Miss you.

Melanie said...

Jamie - I'm glad you're watching my blog! Let me know what you're planning on doing with your kids. It's always fun to do things that will provide special memories for them! I hope you're well.