Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Spitting out food!

OK...I have a question for the solid-food-feeding moms! Mallory has this pesky little habbit of spitting out food. It's like she's "blowing bubbles" with the food in her mouth. I pretty sure it's her sign of being done (I have been signing "all done" with her), but sometimes she just does it to play. I'd like to break her of this, but she's only 6 months and I don't know if it's just a phase or what. She's been doing it for over a week now. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Emma did that, too. I just told her no and was consistent. Funny how I can't remember exactly what I did...it was only 7 months ago! I think when she continued to do it, I just said, "OK...all done." And then I did the sign for all done. She eventually stopped. Hope that helps!

(How was the playgroup today?)

Anonymous said...

Vera did it, too! I did the same thing as Nicole and stopped feeding her at that point because she just seemed to want to play. One thing to remember, though, is that right now to Mallory life is an experiment and spitting food is just part of learning what happens to it when she does it. My though...even though it's not a good habit, don't be too hard on her because the spitting is just part of her learning process.

Melanie said...

Thanks for the tips and the advice it all makes sense. Nicole - I'll make a post about the playgroup. It was disappointing, but I'll try again next week.

Melanie said...

Michelle - Thanks also for your comments! I'm sorry I never got to meet you on your trips to Charlotte. Whenever you were in town, we were out of town! You seem like a great person on a great mission for God.

Unknown said...

I'd just be careful not to laugh when she does it; otherwise, it may become more than "experimentation," and turn into "entertainment." And Daddy's not allowed to laugh either!

Other than that I'd wait it out. It's probably just a phase.