Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A day of ceremony

Today was my grandma's funeral. I can't really go into too much of my emotions now since I need to go to bed soon and get some rest to prepare for tomorrow's trip home. But, it was nice and I think my grandma would have really liked it; it was a traditional catholic mass without some of the pomp and ceremony that usually accompanies it, though still very "catholic". My sister and I did get to sing "In the Garden" during the mass and my mom wrote and read the eulogy, which was a beautiful summary of her full life. My grandpa was very sad and his lip was constantly quivering. We were all trying to be strong for him.

The day was very nice despite the reason why were were all gathered. But the only living family members not present were Patrick and Mallory. That was pretty cool. It was neat to have everyone together remembering times with grandma. We had a traditional family dinner (cold cuts, cheese, rolls, cold salads, devilled eggs, desserts) after the service. Grandpa stayed busy with all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren around. Though he sat on the couch the whole time, people constantly buzzed by him making sure he had enough to drink and eat. We even got a nice picture of all the "grands" with grandpa. I think that will be a nice memory.

We're leaving tomorrow around 9am (or earlier) to make it back to Sanford in time to catch our noon flight. We should be back home around 1:30ish. I can't wait to see my hubby and daughter!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

It's always nice to see family you haven't seen for a while - just not at a funeral, huh? I hope you and E have safe travels today.

Also, thanks so much for your sweet message yesterday. You are the 1 person I can count on every year to remember and call. I cherish that.

Love you!