Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Our first trip to the ER with a child...

I knew it was bound to happen and it finally did. We took Mal to the ER today thinking she may have fractured her arm. She fell while she was at gym today and hurt her arm. We were heading out the door when an adult admiring the atics of her child backed into Mallory causing her to fall and hurt her arm. She had already had a difficult morning (lots of crying b/c she was tired) so I figured her excessive screaming was due to an overreaction, mainly because the woman who knocked her over tried to console her (she still has a difficult time with strangers). Anyway, after crying all the way home and not using her arm after she got home and screaming incosolably when trying to bend it, I figured it was time to head to the ER. Patrick came home, cancelled his appts and came to the ER with me while my dear neighbor, Ellen, sat here while Ethan napped.

Mal was tired, but did great in the hospital. Our hospital has a children's ER that is GREAT. They were very kind and treated Mallory with a lot of respect. The dr saw her very soon after we arrived and figured it was Nursemaids Arm and the dr "reduced it" (popping the radial bone back into place) while we were in the hallway before we entered the room! Mallory screamed quite a bit, but we could tell an improvement immediately in the movement of her arm. We had an x-ray done just in case, but it was clear. She's supposed to take some Motrin and rest her arm. Praise the Lord there wasn't a fracture.

I forgot to bring my camera, so I have no picture. Patrick took some on his cell, so once I figure out how to upload them, I will post them. Ahhh, there's never a dull moment with kids!

4 comments:

alisterhill said...

We're praising our Lord with you that she didn't have a fracture and seems to be doing better now. A&T.

Unknown said...

Glad she's OK!

Lisa said...

That must have been a traumatic moment for you! I'm not looking forward to that day but I imagine those things happen with most kids...So glad she got better quickly! Also, Satchels (the pizza place) is on NE 23rd, almost to Waldo Rd. It's on the north side of the road and covered in lights (always or just for Christmas, I'm not sure). We went again last night on a double date with my parents- so good! :)

Courtney said...

Ah, poor Mal. I'm glad she's OK!