Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Surgery...

This post is about Doggie. Mallory's beloved Doggie had surgery today. We did schedule surgery for my #1 boy for July 22, but I'll talk about that in another post...

Doggie has had a broken nose for months now. Mallory had the audacity to chew off his nose several months ago and immediately shunned him for being nose-less, even though it was to her own doing. I was thinking it would be an opportune time to wean her away from this beloved lovey of hers, but Patrick wanted to teach her a lesson through this: that even though Doggie was hurt and was missing a nose, he was still the same Doggie. We shouldn't loose our love for something special just because they look different.


There's a reason why I married my husband...

Anyway, we put a band-aid over his nose and it worked beautifully. He's had Hello Kitty band-aids, Cars band-aids and more recently, Peanuts band-aids.


When Doggie gets a bath, the band-aid comes off, revealing his imperfection. She doesn't like seeing him without a nose, so the band-aid NEEDS to be there or she gets very distraught. Doggie with a band-aid is beloved. Doggie without a band-aid is not.

My mom is in town for a few days and has taken Mallory and Ethan out to run errands. I took advantage of Doggie's solace and decided to have surgery.


We'll see what Mallory thinks. I honestly have no clue what she'll think. Do you think she'll like it?

4 comments:

Image said...

It' good idea for me.

Frag said...

What a great life lesson, Mel! It's the little things, such as these, that truely show what amazing parents you & Patrick both are! Total Kudos!!

Am+a said...

It looks like Doggie's anesthesia was working fine througout the procedure.

DO give an update of whether the outcome of Doggie's surgery was acceptable to Mallory.

You are a wonderful Mama and surgeon!!!

Mel H. said...

Mel -

He looks good as new and I'm sure she'll love him. I remember the surgery on several of my favorite stuffed animals growing up and was so happy that they were "almost" good as new!! What a great lesson and what a great mom to fix him!!